Friday, July 17, 2009

California...There's A Problem

I'm not sure if you've heard, but CNN has reported that a 69 year-old mother of 3-year old twins, just passed away. That sounds newsworthy to me as well-but here's where it's getting under my skin.

This woman received in vitro from a California-based doctor. According to the report, she lied about her age and said she was 55. I'm sorry, but why on earth would you allow a woman over the age of 50, no, even 45 for that matter, get in vitro?! We all know that once a woman passes 35, there are multiple complications that can happen and it becomes a health risk to both the mother and the unborn child. I'm not saying that women in their 40's can't have healthy babies, I mean look at all the celebrities, but this woman lied and said she was 55!!!!! What is the cut-off age?

Her life didn't allow her to have children sooner than her ripe age of 66 (which is how old she really was when the in vitro took place) and since her mother lived to be 101, she figured her odds would be good. I'm sorry, but this woman basically sounds like the Octo Mom, but in a completely different (yet similar) stage of denial.

Me being a mother-to-be myself, this sickens and saddens me. Without a doubt, I'm sure this woman was a lovely mother and God Bless (and God Rest) her for being able to go through the entire pregnancy, especially with twins and then birth, but I'm sorry, you had no right to bring children into this world at your age.

She was diagnosed with a tumor around the time of the children's birth-anyone can develop a tumor at any age, but let's be honest, it's more likely to occur in elder people. So again I ask? What made this woman and worst yet, the doctor think that a woman of her age should have in vitro and why did she needs to come to California from Spain? Probably because California chases the dollar, forget morals.

Which brings me to the Octo Mom-really? Why didn't the facility where she got in vitro multiple times refuse her business? Oh, because in vitro is a very lucrative business and who cares about the autistic, neglected, special needs children that come into this heinous world and are born to a woman who can't take care of one of them, let alone the whole lot of them, right?

Here's another point-a single woman has to go through hoops, interviews, scrutiny in order to adopt a child, but any single woman can get in vitro?! How does this make sense?

I'm leaving you with this quote, from one of the greatest movies: Parenthood
Keanu Reeves character says: "You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father." Or in this case, a mother.

Happy Blogging.

No comments: