Thursday, July 30, 2009

Neighborly Love?

I couldn't decide on which site I wanted this rant to go on, but then I decided, since it is a rant, than GHE is perfect!


I am obsessed with CNN.com and check it constantly-so today as I'm doing my daily peruse of the site, I come across an article in D.C. regarding a woman who was charged with murdering her 4 children. Of course this caught my attention, being a mommy-to-be or actually just being a human being.


Long article short, this woman basically tortured her children by not feeding them and keeping them locked up in their rooms. She was also living with the rotting bodies for 7 months before they were discovered. First, that's sick-in-the-head stuff, but secondly, and although it didn't mention how long this woman had lived in the house, but a house full of kids, you don't think that a neighbor or someone would notice that the children were being tortured or locked up? No neighbors came forward, until an "icky" smell was coming from the house. I mean, a 16 year old lived there and although they couldn't determine if the stab wounds were self-inflicted, this mother never gave her children medical attention, including medicine, so the coroners couldn't really determine exactly what these children died of, other than neglect.It brings me to my question of how well do you know your neighbors?

I know my neighbors a little too well-when I first moved in there, I could hear them and their late night activities and to this day I still do. Now, I'm not close to my neighbors at all (thank goodness), however, I see them so often, that I would know if there was something going on. It seems like we live in a society that has either become so corrupt that we no longer trust or we no longer care to know others, especially ones that live in close proximity to us. Which raises another point: what happened to all the neighborly love?



Again, I don't know my neighbors, wouldn't want to borrow a cup of sugar from them, but I at least know, their names, how many people in their house and if there was any funny business. Although the good book says: Love Thy Neighbor, maybe we can all do our part to at least acknowledge that they're there and perhaps prevent anymore of child neglect and mistaken identity (Black Professor Incident Anyone) and make this world a better place for all.

Oops....didn't mean to be so positive there, I mean-get real people, stop being lazy and protect the innocent-it's every Americans God give right!

Happy Blogging!

No comments: